Working in laboratories is fun. This is what everyone thinks, but the reality is different. A laboratory worker has to deal with many challenges and threats every day They have to deal with different kinds of complicated experiments. Sometimes, security concerns happen in laboratory. Hence, prior protection and safety guidelines are needed. In a laboratory, various materials are used, and thus there is always a chance of air contamination. To make the air purified again, ductless fume hoods are used. It is a common machine that you can find in various laboratories these days.
Benefits of Using the Ductless Fume Hoods
Using the ductless fume hoods for the laboratories is beneficial from different aspects. Some of the benefits have been discussed in the following section.
- Air Contamination Management: With laboratory fume hoods, air contamination management can be done efficiently. Due to various reactions, air can become contaminated. Working in such environment can be hazardous for the laboratory workers. Air needs to be purified efficiently, and that has been done by the laboratory fume hoods.
- No Environment Hazards: Laboratory fume hoods work in an efficient method which does not cause any potential harm to the environment. It purifies air through its active carbon filters. It does not have an exhaust system to throw the air outside. Throwing contaminated air outside can cause potential environment hazards.
- Low Maintenance Cost: Laboratory fume hoods are known for their low maintenance cost. You do not have to go for the maintenance job frequently. Changing the activated carbon filters time to time would be good enough. These carbon filters are not too expensive. Apart from installing the new carbon filters, there is no other significant maintenance cost with the laboratory fume hoods.
- Energy-efficient: Using the laboratory fume hoods is cost-effective, as the equipment does not consume a lot of energy or electricity. It protects environment by consuming minimal energy. It consumes even lesser energy than the air exhaust systems. In exchange, it makes the air purification in laboratories seamless.
- Portable: One of the biggest advantages of fume hoods is that they are portable. You can use the fume hoods for more than one room easily. You can easily move the equipment from one place to another place. There are no requirements for special arrangements for installing the portable laboratory fume hoods.
- No Ductwork: Since laboratory fume hoods do not come with any duct, they do not need any ductwork too be done. In case of kitchen chimney or other exhaust systems, ductwork cleaning and maintenance are needed. These things are required to be done frequently. Otherwise, the duct may get clogged. With laboratory fume hoods, you do not need to face such nuisances.
Safety Tips for Using the Laboratory Fume Hoods
When you are working with laboratory fume hoods, you need to maintain a few safety precautions. It is important to follow the safety guidelines for the safety both you and the laboratory fume hoods . So, what are those safety guidelines? A guide to those guidelines has been provided in the following section.
- For changing the carbon filters, you should make sure that you know the steps. If you do not know how to change filters, it is better to call the experts. If filters are not attached properly, air would not be purified. As a result, contamination can lead to hazards.
- Make sure that fume hood is switched on after you have done the filter change or other maintenance tasks. Without switching it on, you would not get air purification.
- You should not put your head into the hood opening, as it can cause possible respiratory problems for you. When working with the fume hoods, you must wear the eye protection gears.
- The sash should be closed when you are working with the fume hood. Once you are done with the work, you should open the sash again.
Laboratory fume hood is a cost-effective and environment-friendly air purifying equipment. You need low maintenance cost for these equipments. From private laboratories to commercial laboratories, these equipments are suitable for every place. Make sure that you find a reliable and professional manufacturer or supplier for the laboratory fume hoods.